Monday, February 19, 2007

 

Chuckle of the Day

From a CP story on the GM's meetings in Florida, where the main topic of discussion was the instigator penalty.

''You have to get three instigators before you get suspended so I think players are allowed to do their job within the framework,'' said Dallas Stars GM Doug Armstrong. ''But also you want to make sure that the star players have the ability to do their jobs. You look back in the late 80s and early 1990s with players like (Wayne) Gretzky and Pierre Turgeon and they were getting 150, 160 points on a regular basis there was probably a little more freedom a little more room there and we want to make sure that next generation of players always can have that ability to.''


Pierre Turgeon? You are talking about skilled players in the 80's and 90's and your two examples are Wayne Gretzky and...Pierre Turgeon!? No Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Mark Messier, Ron Francis, Dale Hawerchuk, Jaromir Jagr or, I dunno, Mario Lemieux?

Comments:

Andy, thats hilarious, I was thinging the same thing. After I read it, I said to myself "Pierre Turgeon scored 150-160 points, that can't be". I had to look at hockeydb and saw that he never did.

And yeah, there were so many other players in that era to name and he picked Turgeon. I don't even view him as a Hall of Famer.
 


He meant Sylvain Turgeon.

D-uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh.
 


For some reason when I read that I thought "Pat Lafontaine" instead of Pierre Turgeon, so I didn't quite see what the big deal was.

But yeah, Pierre Turgeon?
 


I saw that as well.

If I'm the general manager of the Avs (who is that anyhow?) I'm on the line to Armstrong right now, trying to pry someone out of him.

Did you see Damien Cox' daily deal in the T.O.Star today (the Spin) - you should see what Brett Hull said about Bettman over the weekend.
 


You know, it sounds crazy now, but he looked like a pretty good hockey player back then, so I suppose it makes sense on some level.
 


You know, it sounds crazy now, but he looked like a pretty good hockey player back then, so I suppose it makes sense on some level.

Ya, except the comment was made today.
 


I think Armstrong was thinking "candy-asses" when he came up with those two names.
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?