Thursday, April 19, 2007

 

Flames Game Day

Three quick hits before I get to the important stuff:

1) Lowetide sums up the it's-a-new-day optimism Blue Jackets fans should be feeling perfectly, with the news of Doug Maclean's firing:
Welcome to the NHL, Columbus. I can hardly wait to see what the uniforms look like.

2) Alana at Hot Oil posted video last week of Hugs & Goodbyes day at Rexall, and made me laugh out loud with this bit:
So the Oilers cleaned out their lockers on Monday or, in Lupul's case, packed up the mountain of balled-up hockey tape that had been thrown at him in disgust throughout the season. Nice garbage bag, douche.

3) Glenn Healy is a terrible, terrible colour commentator. Terrible.

--------------------

Now, game night! (730PM MT, CBC). I got a call last night at supper time. Rather, I got the call: the one that starts, "Hey Matt, I have an extra ticket for tomorrow night's game, and was wondering if..."

So yeah. Rather, YEAAHHHH!!! I'm going to the game tonight; I'll be in the lower bowl, in the corner on Hasek's blocker side in the 1st & 3rd. Since you're wondering, no: I won't be wearing one of the paper helmets referred to here, that made 30% of the G3 fans look vaguely like Warren in There's Something About Mary.

I'm prepared for just about anything. I can easily envision a convincing win by either team, or an edge-of-the-seater where the last goal is the winner.

Coming into the series, it looked like -- based on numbers from the regular season -- the Flames might have the edge in 5-on-4 situations, and that they were probably better at converting scoring chances into goals (whether on account of the quality of those chances, or more accurate shooting, dunno). Though not overwhelmingly by any means, that still looks to be the case to me. The key then, as such, is not so much to ensure that they outchance the Wings (or stay out of the penalty box at all costs), but to try to ensure that they are not outchanced (and ensure that they're not taking two minors for every one of Detroit's). If they can do this, then their scoring and their goaltending should give them the win.

In the Saddledome, while not assured, this is somewhere between possible and likely. I'm guessing it's another narrow Calgary victory. Langkow gets 2 goals -- one of his standard ludicrous deflection-type things, and the most exciting play in hockey. Go Flames.

Comments:

The key then, as such, is not so much to ensure that they outchance the Wings ... but to try to ensure that they are not outchanced

If I were as smart as mclea, I'd make the point that it seems outchancing and not being outchanced are basically the same thing. But I'm not so I won't.

Enjoy the game.
 


no: I won't be wearing one of the paper helmets referred to here, that made 30% of the G3 fans look vaguely like Warren in There's Something About Mary.

How bout Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys.
 


I was thinking more along the lines of Philip.
 


GOILERSSSSS!!!

??????


Fuc...
 


Enjoy watching the Flames burn out!
 


So I guess Reghr's absence isn't that big of a deal? Am I the only guy that thinks the Flames will have a super tough time overcoming that at home and simply WON'T be able to overcome it at JLA?
 


So I guess Reghr's absence isn't that big of a deal?

Ask your typical Flames fan what they think about Regehr's absence and they'll say "Regehr? Is he the goalie, the black guy or the kid from Red Deer who looks inbred?"
 


WAS ED STELMACH WEARING A FLAMES JERSEY?

And I swear I saw Fenwick wearing one of those paper helmets.
 


Fucking Matt is eery with his predictions.
 


Flames get completely dominated and win.

Sigh.
 


Well, all-square again, despite the fact that if it wasn't for Kipper, this series would be over as we speak. But that's what a top-three-in-the NHL netminder can do for a team.

So what....first team to win a road game wins? Sure looks like it, unless this thing is one of those "purely homer series". It's a coin flip right now...Calgary with the momentum, but Detroit still holding home-ice advantage.

I'll stick by my "Wings in six" call from the Oilfans prediction contest, reason being that Detroit was dominant at home and lost two one-goal games on the road (i.e. based on games 1-4, it seems more likely that Detroit can steal game six at the Saddledome than Calgary stealing a game in the Joe).

But kudos to the Flames for managing to find a way back into this series without Regehr at their disposal. They are a completely different team at home as compared to on the road.
 


Huh, "Flames get completely dominated and win." You obviously didn't watch the game, the wings were out played in period 1 & 2, wings came back and played desperate in the third but were not good near as good as G1 & G2. Bottom line Flames earned that win and wings best player was bert.

PB
 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?